Saturday, October 8, 2011

Loving this cooler weather!

Yes, fall is here! I love this time of year - cool weather, the changing colors of the leaves, pumpkins everywhere (even though I don't like pumpkin). But I have to say that I hate seeing the summer harvest season winding down. There is something about picking vegetables, canning and dehydrating, and watching the pantry fill up that gives me great satisfaction.


Our fall cleaning has begun. I cleaned out several of the kitchen cabinets, discarded all the broken and chipped dishes, and put away everything that we seldom use. I actually have space in those cabinets now! I also cleaned out one of the cabinets that stores our over-flow canned goods and took an inventory of what was in there.


Look! There's more room in there now, too! That *might* be because I moved some of it to another pantry, but I can't show you that one yet!

One thing that I have been wanting to can is potatoes, but have you seen the price of potatoes lately? They are outrageous! We planted potatoes (again) this year, but for some strange reason we cannot get them to grow in our garden. Yesterday, I stopped by Ingle's to pick up a couple of items. While walking through the produce aisle I spotted these...


A 50 pound bag of red potatoes for $10! Yep...they came home with me! Today, I have been canning and dehydrating potatoes!


Those jars should fit nicely in my newly cleaned out cabinet!

I also dehydrated the last of the green beans, zucchini, apples, peppers, and radishes. The idea for dehydrating radishes came from here. Thanks Kathy!

I must leave now... I hear potatoes calling my name!

This post is linked with deborah jean's Dandelion House Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop #28.


6 comments:

  1. Those potatoes were a steal! Congratulations on that great find and your canned potatoes turned out great. Happy canning and dehydrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all that lovely canned food stored away. And what a great deal on the potatoes! Doesn't it give you a good feeling to know you're prepared?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your pantry filled with winter goodness for your family! Great job!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I am impressed with both your deal and your canning the potatoes! I've done it in the past but only from home grown potatoes. You have just taught me something I will now look for sales in the store when potatoes don't grow well in garden.....love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't have ever thought of 'canning' potatoes; even though I've seen and BOUGHT them from the store.

    Awesome idea.
    from the Farm Girl hop...Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I regularly buy a 50 pound bag of potatoes and plan on dehydrating them, but never get to it before they are all gone!

    ReplyDelete