Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Turkey Veggie Chowder

I woke up this morning and knew this was going to be a crock-pot kind of day. I had leftover turkey in the freezer and decided I needed to do something with it. As usual, I didn't write things down as I put them into the crockpot, so the measurements are approximate. The result, however, was delicious!

1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped, cooked turkey (or chicken)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white acre peas, drained and rinsed (any type white bean or pea would work)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 cup frozen shoepeg corn
24 oz. turkey/chicken broth
8 oz. Cream Cheese
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1-2 cups cooked rice
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients, excluding the rice, to the crockpot. Cook on low heat 6-8 hours. 20 minutes prior to serving, add the cooked rice. (After cooking, the soup looked too thin and unappetizing to me. I decided to cook rice and add to it. I continued adding the rice until it reached a thick, chowder type consistency.)

Wow! We will definitely be having this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment