Monday, March 5, 2012

Sourdough Starter



I have been baking bread for years, but having success with a sourdough starter has eluded me... until now! I'll admit, I only attempted it 3-4 times, but that was enough to frustrate me and cause me to quit trying. In our quest to eat healthier and reduce our grocery expense, this seemed to be a wise decision. Who knows why it worked this time, but I am so thankful it did!

Sourdough Starter
Water
Bread Flour (I used King Arthur)

What? That's all the ingredients? Yes!

Step 1:
Add 1/4 cup water to a clean wide-mouthed pint jar (or glass crock). Add 3/8 cup bread flour to the water and stir vigorously, scrape down the sides of the jar with your spoon to prevent molding, cover loosely with plastic wrap and sit on the counter for 12 hours. After 12 hours, you should see tiny bubbles beginning to form. If not, stir vigorously, cover, and let sit another 12 hours. Check again and if you still don't see bubbles, throw it out and start over. Ahem.... don't give up if this happens to you!



See the bubbles?!?

Step 2:
Remove half of the mixture and throw it out *gasp*. I put mine in the compost because I heard it's really good for it. Add 1/4 cup water to the jar and mix well. Add 3/8 cup flour, stir vigorously, scrape sides, cover loosely, and sit on counter for 12 hours. Check for bubbles, following the same instructions as before.

Step 3:
Repeat step 2 for the next 3-5 days. The warmer the temperature, the quicker your starter will grow. 

This is a picture of my starter the morning of day 5.


It still had the bubbles but hadn't doubled in size the way it was supposed to. So, I fed it again and let it sit for another 12 hours, then another, and another. I was determined not to give up! On the morning of the 7th day, I decided to feed it one more time before I finally gave up! Four hours later this is what I found...



See the tiny black line on the front? That's where it started in the beginning. See where it is now?  IT DOUBLED!



And see all those wonderful bubbles?  IT'S ALIVE!!  I am doing the happy dance right now!

I guess I better go find lots of new sourdough recipes. Be back later!






No comments:

Post a Comment