Monday, March 16, 2015

Gardening 2015

It's time! We have anxiously been awaiting the day we could begin planting our garden! We usually plant our early peas mid to late February but this year we had freezing temperatures with snow and ice (or at least predictions from the weatherman.) That was followed by days of rain so the ground was just too wet. Today, the temp is supposed to be near 80 and the ground has sufficiently dried and warmed up...EXCITED!

One of the main things I plant each year is tomatoes. It seems no matter how many I plant it is never enough. So, this year we have started almost 100 plants indoors. Obviously, this isn't all of them and if you look to the left of the tomatoes you will see rhubarb. That was the Mr.'s idea. I have never planted rhubarb nor have I cooked with it! Help, I will need ideas for this stuff!


We also decided to add a few more grape vines to our current vineyard. I know what to do with these....jelly, jam, wine, mmmm! If we don't get this one planted soon, I will be harvesting from the windowsill.


I have never met a potato I didn't like, so that's another of our annual crops. This sweet potato was purchased from a local farmer but began sprouting before I used it. We stuck it in a jar of water and this is what greeted me a few days ago. It may be too late to plant this one but it will look great in a hanging basket. 




I still need to start our cucumbers, squash, zucchini, and peppers. Since those are planted later I haven't been in too much of a hurry. We hope to get our peas and beans in the ground this week.

Have you ever heard of cutting off the bottom of a celery stalk and planting it in dirt? I read about this a while back and decided to try it. Here is what happened after a couple of weeks.



Should I leave it or plant it outdoors? 


No comments:

Post a Comment