Thursday, April 30, 2015

Breakfast Hash

I admit it, I'm not much of a breakfast eater. Don't misunderstand, I LOVE breakfast foods, just not when I first wake up. Just give me coffee and don't expect a lot any conversation until that first cup is gone. If you really want to be safe, wait until I've had my second cup of coffee. 

One of my favorite foods is potatoes! I've never met a potato I didn't like, so this recipe for breakfast hash is a winner for me. It's especially nice because you can use ham that was leftover from dinner the previous night (that's what I used), throw in any vegetables you may have, or keep it simple as I did here. Use your imagination! Do you have peas, greens, carrots, mushrooms, corn? Throw it in! I promise, you will love it!

Cast of characters


I started by dicing 4 potatoes into small pieces. Although it's not easy to see, I used a combination of red potatoes and russet potatoes. Next, I chopped half of an onion and the rest of a bell pepper that I had, about a cup of ham, and 2 cloves of garlic. 

Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When the butter is melted, add the potatoes, onions, pepper, garlic, and any other veggies you want to add. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Saute until the potatoes are almost cooked. Add the ham and continue cooking until the potatoes are tender and the ham is heated through. 

While the hash is finishing, fry an egg sunny-side up. If you prefer, you can poach the egg or fry it but you want the yolk to be runny....trust me, seriously, trust me!  

The phone rang while I was cooking so the next picture I have is of the finished deliciousness! 



Break the yolk so it runs down into those luscious potatoes.....what's NOT to love! 

I'm not going to post a list of ingredients because you can (and should!) add anything you want to this hash. This is the base and beginning of many wonderful future breakfast meals. 

1 comment: