Monday, September 19, 2011

Change in lifestyle

After months of prayer, research, discussions with my husband, and countless hours wrestling with the budget, we have reached the decision that we need to change to an organic, natural foods diet. While we have always eaten fresh fruits and vegetables, we found that purchasing quality, organic items did not fit our budget. To be honest, it still doesn't, but my reasoning is we can pay now (in food costs) or pay later (in medical bills).



All the details are still being worked out, but what we have done is this:

  • Changed our fruit/vegetables co-op purchases to all organic. This doubled our bi-monthly cost. The photo above is an actual basket from Eat-Right Atlanta Co-op
  • Made the decision to add more meat birds to our homestead. We currently have 22 layers for eggs and will probably increase those, as well. 
  • Continue purchasing 1/4 grass-fed cow for beef. We have friends that we split with and it works well. The per pound cost for the dressed beef was below $2.00/pound. Since we were still purchasing beef from the store, we will probably add another 1/4 cow to the freezer. 
  • Locate a supplier of fresh, naturally fed pork that we could also divide with friends. 
  • Increase the size of our garden area in order to produce more of our own foods. I also need to become intentional in my gardening efforts. By this, I mean really working as if our food supply depended on it. In the years when the garden hasn't produced well (like this year), I found it easy to give up and head to the farmers market. 
  • Fill the freezer with more fish and wild game. Obviously, this is an idea that my husband loved! He has always been an outdoorsman, but now he has a very good reason to spend more time in the woods :)
This will not be an overnight process. We are beginning where we can and working on the rest. I have a lot of food in the pantry and freezer that is not organic. We will continue to eat these things, however, it will be mixed with the organic purchases we make. 

Other areas that we are changing include ridding ourselves of as much processed foods and food products as possible. This includes flour, refined sugar, condiments, mayonnaise, salad dressings, etc. All of these things are so easy to prepare yourself and are SO much healthier for you! I have made all of these things in the past - I just became lazy because I knew I could buy them ready made at the store for a few cents (or FREE) using coupons.  While I will still keep these things in our stockpile for emergencies, we will be eating the "good stuff" now! 

These are the things I accomplished today:
  • Made butter
  • Made yogurt
  • Made granola
  • Made kefir
  • Made buttermilk
  • Baked a loaf of bread
  • Made cinnamon rolls for tomorrow's breakfast
  • Picked up the fruit/vegetables from the co-op (Now I can plan our weekly menus, something I NEVER do!)
 I realize that by committing to this, I have increased my workload tremendously. Honestly, that was more of a concern to me than the expense. So... I am asking you, my friends, to hold me accountable to the commitment we have made!  Badger me...ask questions...whatever it takes! I want to do what is BEST for my family, and I believe this is a step in the right direction!

In case you are wondering what brought us to this point, I will be posting the information I discovered soon.  In the meantime, I will be experimenting with new recipes, planning menus, taking inventory of what we have and what we need. Until next time, I am.....

Nervous and DETERMINED!
debbie

This post is linked up with Homestead Barnhop


No comments:

Post a Comment